What Is Outplacement?
Often referred to as outplacement counseling, Career Transition Counseling is a proven process of assisting individuals in making their next career move --re-employment, self-employment or active retirement -- with a minimum of stress and as quickly as possible. The previous employer pays for the service; there is no cost to the individual.
Unlike a search firm, McGovern Feeney Associates (MFA) does not place you in a job. We provide the information, support, tools, skills, resources, and expert advice to help you define your individual requirements so you can continue your career in a way that ensures greater fulfillment, and perhaps compensation, than you had previously.
What Does the Process Involve?
Each program is tailored to your needs, and you determine its pace. However, if you are seeking re-employment, you will most likely complete the following steps with your personal consultant:
- Deal with feelings about your separation and any financial concerns you have
- Complete and analyze your Career Assessment
- Define your career goals and preferred position parameters
- Create a dynamic resume, cover letters and marketing letters
- Develop an action plan for an aggressive and successful job search
- Select and prepare references
- Learn the latest job-search techniques (including networking, the method by which most of our candidates find jobs)
- Practice and fine-tune the most successful ways to present yourself in videotaped interviews
- Select and negotiate the best offer
- Evaluate the program and get off to a good start in your new job
What Resources Are Available?
Throughout Career Transition Counseling, MFA will provide these resources for you:
- Special, private problem-solving sessions with your consultant to revitalize your search should you encounter an impasse
- Sessions with your spouse, when appropriate
- Regular meetings conducted by MFA consultants to constantly provide you with ideas, facts, and suggestions
- Videos, a job-search manual, and a marketing plan to help implement your job search
- Computerized data bases for research
- Information, ideas and contacts generated by other candidates
- Private workspace
- Unlimited telephone privileges (even international when necessary)
- Telephone answering around the clock
- Timely word processing of all your correspondence by trained support staff
- Personalized-stationary and printed resumes
- Access to copy and facsimile machines
- A positive, warm and supportive environment in which to work
The Entrepreneurial Path
If you wish to start or purchase a business or become a consultant, MFA has specialized programs, manuals, and resources to guide and support you. We will assist you in examining all the issues involved and creating a thorough Business and Marketing Plan that will increase your chances for entrepreneurial success.
- McGovern Feeney Associates Home